I was having a conversation today with a friend of mine over lunch who asked me how I find the time to do everything that I do. I put down my sandwich and told him that I make time – I prioritize the things that I have to do and then I figure it out from there.
He said, “I don’t know, that seems overly simplistic. You have to have a system.”
I suppose I do, I call that system:
Just Do The Work.
It’s totally revolutionary, I know. I’m sure you’ve run across the people out there that will tell you that you can lead the “Four Hour Work Week” lifestyle and sip lattes on the beach all day while your bank account ticks over on autopilot.
But not me, I’m the kind of person that says you just need to put the work in.
It’s Not All Candy Floss And Cake
Some days, like today, work isn’t fun. They don’t call it “work” because it’s candy floss and cake all day. I had one of those days where I just wanted to be doing anything else other than work, but being an adult you have no choice but to put your head down and power through. The work won’t do itself.
Does that mean you can’t take the odd day off here and there? Of course not, you work to live, not live to work. But with that said, when it’s work time, it’s time to work. You put aside the distractions, you put on your big boy or big girl pants and you get stuck in.
Your goal for work should be to build your dream lifestyle. For one person, that dream lifestyle could be living on a beach somewhere in Southeast Asia and for someone else it could be having enough money to easily pay for your teenage daughter’s braces. Everyone has their own dreams and aspirations.
But to get there, you have to have a plan and put the work in.
And even if you don’t have a plan, I have a plan for you!
Here’s My Plan For You
Let me share with you my goals for Casual Marketer and what my plan is for you:
1) I’m trying to educate you first and foremost. I’ve been around the block a few times in terms of business and especially when it comes to the world of online marketing. I have seen what works, what doesn’t and most of all, I know the stuff other people will tell you that works but it really doesn’t. My goal is to help you avoid potholes and expedite your learning process.
2) I want to entertain you a little bit. Everyone and everything is so serious all the time when it comes to online business and getting ahead in life. It really doesn’t have to be that way. I enjoy the vast majority of the things that I do in my day-to-day life. I like going to my job and working with clients on their issues. I like coming home to my family and talking about their day. I enjoy sitting down and writing emails to you every night. And I have fun thinking up what each month’s Casual Marketer Monthly Newsletter is going to be about then sitting down and writing it. So I want to help make your day a bit more entertaining with the odd story or sharing an experience.
3) I want you to feel that you can achieve your goals in whatever it is you’re doing or what you want to do in your business or online marketing. I have people who read the daily emails from all walks of life. Some people want to build an audience, improve their business or just learn some things for their existing job and to enhance their current skills. When you read this stuff, I want you to come away from it feeling like you can achieve those goals.
So in simple terms: educate, entertain and inspire. Those are the key things I like to share with people.
Everything Comes Back To Doing The Work
Underpinning it all though, is that I can teach you everything I know, make you laugh to your sides hurt and feel like you could wrestle a bull, but if you don’t sit down and actually put in the hard yakka, then it doesn’t matter a jot.
So here’s what I’d like you to do. Whenever you read this post, go below in the comments and tell me the following things:
1) What is your big hairy audacious goal. Not only tell me what it is, but tell me why you have that goal. Be as detailed as you can so that I can fully appreciate as much as possible what it is you want to achieve and why.
2) What is the one thing that you think right now is holding you back. It could be that you’re struggling to find the time, you lack the self-confidence or maybe you just aren’t able to motivate yourself to do it. Every single one of us who aren’t making the type of progress we want has something holding us back, be honest with yourself and write it down.
3) What are the things that you would like me to teach you that you think would help you make the most progress. That could be technical or something more motivational, just tell me how I can help you get moving towards your goals faster and with more purpose.
When you leave a comment on this site I take the time to read all of them. If you’re willing to take the time to write all that stuff down, I’m willing to take the time to read it and reply personally.
But like everything else on this site, it all stems from sitting down and just doing the work.